Author Topic: 1st place division winners  (Read 1301 times)

BrianK

• Master
    • Krampert's Finest
1st place division winners
« on: July 12, 2016, 02:37:37 PM »
I shipped their bottles of Acadian Spice today, so they should have them NLT Saturday.

Lee Cabana

• Global Moderator
  • High Master
Re: 1st place division winners
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 06:21:32 PM »
Thank you!
"a pretty quick hit is better than a lightning-fast miss."

BrianK

• Master
    • Krampert's Finest
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 02:18:18 PM »
I received a thank you postcard from Dave Sevigny today. Class act. I hope he likes it.

Lee Cabana

• Global Moderator
  • High Master
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 07:20:56 PM »
Dave is a great guy -
"a pretty quick hit is better than a lightning-fast miss."

Jamiethesquid

• Administrator
  • High Master
  • A75759
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 10:59:00 PM »
I shave just so I can use your products Brian. BTW, kinda liking the SE razors. There is something about shaving with an 80 year old razor that is inherently Zen.
2015 will be my best year yet! Rocking the CZ!!!

BrianK

• Master
    • Krampert's Finest
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 08:31:31 AM »
:-) Didn't I give you one that was 100 years old? That would be the black one (BTW, the coating is Brownells GunKote if I remember right). Yesterday I used one with a 1924 patent date and it's my fav' razor. I use it for 90% of my shaves.

In years past I'd use those old razors and wonder about the folks who used them before me. Yeah, It's neat to realize that they were used before domestic electricity was even a thought for the average person and the razor was used with kerosene light. They still work as good today as they did back then. Better actually, because our blades are much better. If you want to try to simulate a shave of yesteryear, in only a small way, go to CVS and buy some of their SE blades. They are carbon steel and will micro rust. After a few days it'll be totally useless for shaving. But the first shave will be much better than blades of 100 years ago. I remember when I was a child and stainless blades were just coming out. It was a revolution.

But I can go on, can't I? I just need to stop.

Jamiethesquid

• Administrator
  • High Master
  • A75759
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 11:03:11 PM »
I couldn't remember the ages you had told me. I haven't tried that black one yet.  I have used two of the gold Gem's a couple of times and really liked that. For tonight's shave I treated myself to a Feather Hi-Stainless DE blade fresh out of the wrapper in a more modern Merkur 37c slant. I lathered the hell out of my Fine Accoutrements Synthetic Brush (This brush is amazingly good) with Kramperts Finest Frost Bite.  The lather was perfect. The shave was unbelievable, so sharp that I had almost no indication of the 5 days of growth coming off. Then I finished with the Frostbite Aftershave. 30 minutes later the freeze is subsiding. Well done my friend. Your products are the creme de la creme. And your advice has been great. I think next shave might be your Bay Rum and that 100 year old Single edge.

To all reading this. If you want or need to shave and haven't experienced a shave with quality products, a brush and a vintage razor, well you are just missing the finer things in life. Give it a shot.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 11:04:43 PM by Jamiethesquid »

Jamiethesquid

• Administrator
  • High Master
  • A75759
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 11:04:58 PM »
The cost saving alone is remarkable.

Jamiethesquid

• Administrator
  • High Master
  • A75759
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 11:05:56 PM »
Brian, you should teach a class. I would sign up. The history of it all is fascinating.

Jamiethesquid

• Administrator
  • High Master
  • A75759
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 11:07:18 PM »
BTW, I have confirmed that Fine Accoutrements uses the Plisson Knot for their synthetic brush.  Great deal at $24 bucks

BrianK

• Master
    • Krampert's Finest
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 09:14:08 AM »
Jamie, when I first got my Plisson I was laughing so hard at the ridiculous thing that I almost didn't even try it. But other folks I respect liked it and suggested it (hence my purchase), so I decided to give it a try. Just a fantastic brush! It is so unlike any other synthetic that I have in the cabinet, and to think I seriously considered selling it on it's day of arrival without even trying it. BTW, I spent a lot more than that for my Plisson, so yes, it's a good deal on a great brush.

The lather catcher will definitely be a different feeling shave. Try to remember how you like the experience for the next time I see you. Lots of folks don't like them because it feels so different. But to me that's just what makes shaving enjoyable today.

When you're up to it, you did tell me that you shaved with a straight razor, correct? Anyway, I'll loan you a SEvette. It's a SE razor with the comb removed to turn it into a straight razor on a stick. No maintenance as with a straight, just toss the blade and install fresh when that's required. Obviously it's no longer a safety razor with the comb removed and can slice until it's stopped by the teeth. It gives a really really close shave in the right hands. I don't offer that as a dare or a test of anything. You know if you're ready for it, I don't. It will cut skin just as easily as it will cut whiskers; just like a straight razor will, except it's sharper.

You say I should teach classes. Well up to 2 weeks ago there was a website, but the folks who hosted it appear to have shut everything down and it's no longer there. At one time all that was discussed there were SE razors. Many of those gents know far more than I do. They'd come up with the most esoteric razors. Like all of the shaving forums it was an international community. The teaching there was free as it is on all the shave forums. But I do help anyone who wants it, for free. I don't know anything about cartridges though. Whoops, excuse me, I do know that I never want to use cartridges again. I would consider that to be a step backward in my shaving. But they're fine for lots of folks and I don't mean that as a slur on their shave experience. I just know that when I used them I hated shaving and the ingrowns and such that resulted. I finally enjoy shaving and I no longer have ingrowns when I get a truly close shave.  So no more cart's for me.

I far prefer to teach on the forums where other folks with different perspectives can chime in to help a noob. But if someone wants to learn one on one there are 2 sinks at the Augusta range and I don't mind teaching traditional blade shaving after a match.

You know that folks reading this think we're insane right? Enjoyable shaving? :-) I sometime mention it when I'm doing a Refuse To Be A Victim seminar and it always gets chuckles.
Oh well.

When winter gets here try the hot towel routine ( I use 130F water). It's just a bit more enjoyment preceding the shave, or after the shave. Followed with Frostbite it's a freaky experience because you can feel the heat and the face freeze simultaneously.

But I can go on and on and that's not what this thread was supposed to be about. I'm hijacking my own thread.

Jamiethesquid

• Administrator
  • High Master
  • A75759
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 09:46:41 AM »
We are nuts. That is why we are here.