Author Topic: OK, not shooting related. Introducing Krampert's FinestŪ shave products  (Read 1587 times)

BrianK

• Master
    • Krampert's Finest
I figure this is as good a time as any to introduce my products and my company since I'm a sponsor of the 2016 Area 7 match and almost no one in Maine has heard of me or my products. I do get emails from Maine folks who buy my products out of state and then suddenly realize it was made "next door". Last week I got one where the gent thanked me for representing the state with such a fine product. Krampert's Finest splashes have the official "Made in Maine" seal of approval.

A few years ago I got the bright idea of making Bay Rum for my own use. I had a further bright idea to hand it out to friends and 'net friends on the shaving forums. The next thing I knew one gent in NY state liked it so much that he decided I needed a website and built it for me. Another friend (Dr.) in Nashville kept talking it up on line. So I was basically drafted into having a business. That's actually OK because I'm retired and I was looking for something to do to stave off boredom. Plus it does give me spend money. I could be a lot busier, but I'm retired and I'm busy enough. I actually do things to stifle business so as not to get too big. (Like not allowing Amazon sales- did that just last week.) My customers regularly ask me to come out with more products and someday I might want more business and do that. But I enjoy having a company where the customers contact ii and get the President, and the formulator, and bottler, and shipping dude. I think my customers also enjoy that since I'm very approachable. I'm on 4 shaving websites, so getting in touch with me is easy for them. Of course they can always contact me through the website also.

Folks like the fact that my products contain either natural ingredients or naturally derived ingredients. They are also quite unique in that a "guys moisturizer" is contained right in the splash.  If it wasn't for the denatured alcohol they could be consumed. The soaps have been consumed by children and the poison line doesn't need to be dialed. Just wait for the runs to stop. I kid you not; one customers grand kids smelled the bay rum and dug in with spoons. Yeah, it smells that good, but it's not for eating. Their mom wasn't all that impressed. :-)) The French make some of the finest shave soaps on the planet and at least one French gent makes the claim that mine is better than their best (Martin deCandre ; yes, you can google that).

Since then the business has grown and in shave forum circles anyway I'm known quite literally around the world and European production is getting started. Bay Rum is largely unheard of in the EU so they should have their hands full once production ramps up there.  "Krampert's FinestŪ" Is trademarked in the USA and the EU. All I wanted was good old fashioned Bay Rum, known from my childhood haircuts at Joe's Barbershop,  for my own use. Very few of today's Bay Rums actually are bay rum and smell primarily of other scents or use synthetic scent. Krampert's Finest has come a long way in a few short years and from $100 of seed money.

Oddly enough very few folks in Maine have heard of my products. Due in large part to my decision to not retail in Maine no doubt. I don't want to get involved with Maine taxation other than income tax. At this time there is no retailer in Maine.

If you're curious I do have a professionally made website now, not the original one, www.krampertsfinest.com

My products are specifically designed for replaceable blade shaving. Those would be double edge razors, single edge razors, straight razors, and cartridges even though they don't use a replaceable blade. Krampert's FinestŪ after the shave products work no matter how one shaves and will also work after a shave with an electric shaver. If one has skin they work and will be of benefit.  Obviously the shave soaps get used with edged shaving instruments and with a brush.

If someone from Maine wishes to buy, it can't be done on the website. Just google my name, Brian Krampert, or Krampert's Finest and it will turn up the retailers, reviews, and all sorts of things. Dig deep enough and you'll see where my products have made it around the world. I suggest using google because I know that it can translate the foreign language hits.

FWIW, I make the splashes here in Fairfield, but my soaps are made for me, to my spec's, in California. Only the Made in Maine splashes will be given at the Area 7 Champ' match.

Jay6

• Master
Re: OK, not shooting related. Introducing Krampert's FinestŪ shave products
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 05:26:55 PM »
Scott Jackson 😉
Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!

Jamiethesquid

• Administrator
  • High Master
  • A75759
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 05:42:52 PM »

This is a bottle that I found at a local yard sale. Had to buy it for 50 cents as It reminded me of the stuff that the Barber that I used in CT would splash on the back of my neck after a straight razor shave with hot shaving cream.

I would love to get another straight razor and try your products.

Jamie
2015 will be my best year yet! Rocking the CZ!!!

BrianK

• Master
    • Krampert's Finest
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 07:55:19 PM »
Jamie, I'm not going to talk you out of a str8 razor, but they require maintenance and stones and such. A safety razor, single edge (SE) or DE razor that uses replaceable blades is much easier. One way to get into a str8, sort of,  is to get a Rolls razor. It has a segment of straight razor on a handle and looks much like a safety razor, but it's a straight at heart. Nothing safety about it. It still requires maintenance but I've gotten as many as 30 shaves from mine before it requires rehoning. That can be done yourself. It's not hard, just time consuming. I haven't used my Rolls in possibly a year because of the maintenance requirement. That's why the old timers shaved once a week.

I suggest going onto one of the shaving forums and reading and asking questions if you want to get into it. That's exactly why the shave forums exist. It's beyond the scope of what should be on this forum.

I know for me that a SE razor gives me a better shave. The money savings is secondary. If you want I can give the shave forums that I'm active on. If they weren't the cream of the crop (IMO) I wouldn't be on them, since they're voluntary.

I also like to use them because of the history. Some of my razors go back over 100 years. Who was the first owner? It's neat to contemplate that, or it is for me. I have very few modern razors, most of mine being vintage.

Jamiethesquid

• Administrator
  • High Master
  • A75759
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 09:07:02 PM »
I had a straight razor for years in the Navy and loved it. Until an unscrupulous room mate liberated it one day. A single edge would be cool. i will have to look into that.

Jamie

Jamiethesquid

• Administrator
  • High Master
  • A75759
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 09:13:18 PM »
Although, I hate the chore of shaving now and usually sport as much facial hair as my bosses will tolerate.

Jamie

BrianK

• Master
    • Krampert's Finest
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 11:31:37 AM »
I had a straight razor for years in the Navy and loved it. Until an unscrupulous room mate liberated it one day. A single edge would be cool. i will have to look into that.

Jamie

Ahh, Navy, hence Jamie the Squid. :-) Below decks I assume. I'm not Navy, but I heard the term used by ex Navy where I worked when I was in the boiler house. I figured that's what the username meant but I wasn't going ask.

A beginner SE razor would be a GEM Featherweight. There really isn't a perfect beginner SE razor and the FW is low mid aggressive as compared to DE razors. CVS has Carbon steel SE blades but they will rust and become unusable if not cared for after every shave. Walgreens has GEM stainless blades. I far prefer Stainless blades, but I don't buy them at Walgreens. If you like them and want to buy in bulk there are places that sell 100-200 at a whack at the best prices going. Too, life of the blade means something as far as cost goes. It's not at all unusual for me to get 30+ shaves per SE blade. With DE I'm lucky to get 7. Also, a SE blade doesn't get all pissy and bite when asked to do more shaves than what it thinks it should. A DE blade will bite and draw blood. SE razors have a great deal going for them and I far prefer them.

There are a few good places to get used razors. One place are local antique shops. another is Ebay, but the best places are the buy/sell/trade sections of the shave forums (b/s/t). On the b/s/t sections they are represented honestly by other folks who know shaving. As a noob you can buy on a b/s/t but will have time/post requirements before being allowed to sell. Featherweights show up frequently on Ebay, but not always by folks who know shaving or know what a usable razor looks like; buyer beware. Having written that I have never gotten a bad Featherweight on Ebay. Of all the SE razors they are pretty much bomb proof. They also clean up pretty good no matter what they look like in the sellers pix. The plating on them is very thick.

I'd give you prices, but it's been quite some time since I spent time buying razors on Ebay. Buying off of a shave forum you won't pay a premium, and sometimes much less than a comparable razor would cost on an auction site. I used to give razors away as "PIFs" (pay it forward). Folks helped me get started and I needed to pay that kindness back.

There are modern made SE razors, but you'll pay $100 and more for one. They are very good, but I can get just as good a shave from a $15 vintage razor so I've never sprung for a newly made one. Plus there are waiting lists for them.

Don't be surprised if you actually like shaving once you go to a blade and better products. I hated shaving also, but enjoy it now. It's "me time", and building the lather and such is quite enjoyable. Many start out to save money, I did, but it turns into a hobby. Yup, that's me too. Then it became a business. It's still enjoyable though. It's the first "job" I ever had that I didn't despise. The boss can be an ahole at time though, but I get to call him names. (that'd be me)

There is a resurgence of blade shaving today and for very good reasons. If you need help either  get back to me or, just go onto the shave forums. Folks there are very helpful.

Jamiethesquid

• Administrator
  • High Master
  • A75759
Thanks for the info Brian. I will have to do some research.

Jamie

Jamiethesquid

• Administrator
  • High Master
  • A75759
Submarine Sailor. Still work for the Navy as a civilian in Bath. Have been working for the Navy for most of the last 22 years.

Jamie

BrianK

• Master
    • Krampert's Finest
Subs... that takes a special pair. I think I'd go nuts in one.