Author Topic: Does Anyone Do the Wednesday Night Fun Shoots?  (Read 2141 times)

Shepherd Jim

• Administrator
  • Master
  • an old dawg learning new tricks
Does Anyone Do the Wednesday Night Fun Shoots?
« on: December 05, 2013, 09:42:46 AM »
I already have the Thursday late afternoon/early evening Pistol Postal "practice" sessions on my calendar so haven't made it to a Wednesday Fun Shoot ...my wife would freak if I headed to the Range TWO NIGHTS IN A ROW!  ;-(

.22 rifles with scopes at 50' ...I'm wondering what guns and scopes people bring to the party and what's the most successful.

...I almost made to the Fun last night. I was going to drop in with my camera and take some pics for the LCRC website, but ....
i wish i knew then what i know now

Jamiethesquid

• Administrator
  • High Master
  • A75759
Re: Does Anyone Do the Wednesday Night Fun Shoots?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 01:42:44 AM »
There is a little bot of everything at those shoots.  Mostly bolt guns some semi's. The targets are fun. Shooting little milk bottles, fighter jets, 5 shot groups on little bullseye targets. I went last year a few times with my Martini. It's a buck a target for 5 rounds. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pay out $5,4, and $3 bucks if I remember. Then at the end they have a 6th round optional $1 dollar winner takes all. I won a couple targets and the night didn't cost me anything. Very laid back. I will shoot some more. All the shooting is offhand.
2015 will be my best year yet! Rocking the CZ!!!

Vizsladad

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 09:45:11 PM »
Jamie/Jim  Are you guys doing these shoots. I was thinking about going but I was wondering what time I could show up. I really do not want to go home and then turn around and go back out again after driving right past the range. I drive past on my way home from work around 5pm, I know the site say 7pm but does anyone show up early. Would love to confirm zero before hand and just put a few down range to warm up.

Dave
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."
Henry Ford

Shepherd Jim

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 08:32:37 AM »
Hi Dave:

Sorry about this late response ...late, that is, if you were thinking about shooting the "fun" yesterday (Wed).

I have not yet even managed to visit a Wed Night Fun Shoot to take pictures for the Club's website. By all reports the shoots are one of the most popular Club activities with sometimes 20 shooters participating.

My biggest problem is that I've been shooting the Pistol Postals on Thurs afternoons. My disappearing up to the Club two days in a row would not be very popular here at home with farm management.

I am able to shoot my weekly Postal targets whenever I choose. They're shot on the honor system we submit our targets and write our scores down on a chart at the range. But, it was the camaraderie of the Thurs evening group that originally sparked me to join LCRC.

I'd be willing to bet that at least a few shooters are there well before 7pm.

Jamiethesquid

• Administrator
  • High Master
  • A75759
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 11:24:26 AM »
Dave, Same as Jim... Sorry for the late response.  I have shot the fun shoots in the past and as Jim alluded they are a very good time.  If you want to come and check it out give me some notice and I could meet you there early for some warm-up.  Regards Jamie
2015 will be my best year yet! Rocking the CZ!!!

Shepherd Jim

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 12:19:05 PM »
...<snip>...give me some notice and I could meet you there early for some warm-up.  Regards Jamie
Ditto! If I knew "we" were getting together "early" on Wed I could go up early enough to get my Postal targets attended to before "the fun".

Another reason I haven't gone to too much trouble to do any rifle shooting has been my Macular Degeneration in my sighting eye. But, I have (knock on wood) positive news to report:
  • I've determined that the nasty scope on my Ruger 10-22 is high enough above the comb that I'm able to get my left (non-sighting) eye in line with the scope.
  • The scope on my Sig Sauer 522 is too low to get my left eye behind.  But, wonder of wonders I can see through the scope and acquire a target with my right eye (knocking on wood again, here) ...something I could not do a couple of months ago. It's looking like the treatments I've been getting in that eye are really working. I go to see the ophthalmologist again tomorrow morning.

In the normal course of events I would be shooting on Wed in place of Thurs.

Vizsladad

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 08:53:15 PM »
No worries,

went last night and had a great time, we had about 24 shooters, I got there at 530 and the gate and clubhouse were already open, They invited me in and let me warm up before hand.

A real great group of guys.

I did get some funny looks though. I was the only one shooting iron sights and was holding my own by being in the middle of the scores. BUT I did look out of place as I had my AR with a conversion kit. Just did not look right shooting with all those 22 rifles.

Am going to try to go next week, but I am on call for work now until next Thurs, so that may keep me out, But I will post up when I can make it again,,as I AM going again. If nothing else it was great offhand practice

Dave
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."
Henry Ford